Swimwear/Bra Making Intensive with Jenny Ambrose
Cost:$275.00 per person
About this experience
Three day workshop: October 20 (6-9pm), 21 (1-5pm), 22 (11-5pm)
As our bra class is full, this class can be used by people hoping to make a bra!
$275 (+ you will need to purchase a pattern and supplies in advance)
Join Jenny to make your first swimsuit in a small group with demonstrations and guidance. Learn how to better handle stretch fabrics, work with elastic and create beautiful edges using a regular sewing machine as well as a serger.
Skill Level: Intermediate (Ages 18+) (If you're not sure about attending, please reach out to chat about your sewing experience!)
Please note that as Jenny is a travelling workshop instructor, there are no make-up classes available. Jenny is based in Saskatchewan and will only be on the island for a limited time. Please make sure that you can attend both days in full to make sure you get the most out of your registration. No refunds or cancellations within one week of this class.
Students will learn step-by-step how to make their swimsuit. We will cover everything you need to know to make a professional looking undergarment using a sewing machine and serger (serger is optional!).
Learn the basic properties of nylon and spandex fabrics
Learn about the different types of elastic
How to construct seams
- Creating details like ruching and ruffles
How to line your swimsuit
Working with a twin needle
What stitches to use when using a regular sewing machine only
How to apply elastics
- Adding hooks and eyes
- Making adjustable straps
6pm - Meet and Greet
6:30-9:00: Tracing/Cutting pattern and Fabrics
1:00 - 5:00 -Elastic Demos/Practice / Swimsuit Construction
11:00 - 12:30 - Swimsuit Construction
12:30 - 1:30 - Lunch
1:30 - 5:00 - Swimsuit Construction / Finishing / Feedback and Pattern Changes
Materials Required * please chat to Jenny if you need help selecting your pattern or understanding your shopping list! Please note that pattern options should be discussed upon registration.
As one of Jenny's students you will receive a 20% discount code for www.themakehouse.ca! You can select 'store pick up' if you would like Jenny to bring your supplies up to Courtenay, please order before October 6th, 2023.
Jenny will provide your tester packs but you will need the following supplies. Please purchase your supplies before the start of the workshop as we need all the time we have to work on your swimsuit!
- Pattern (less experienced sewists should start with a one-piece swimsuit)
You can make for adults or kids!
- Swimwear fabric * see your pattern for widths/quantities
- Swimwear lining * see your pattern for widths/quantities
- Swim elastics * see your pattern for widths/quantities
- Hooks *optional depending on pattern
- Co-ordinating polyester thread (no drugstore threads please!)
- Stretch machines sewing needles
* please do not use black on black for your first swimsuit as it makes it very challenging when you're trying to learn!)
Other things you need for this workshop:
- Sewing machine in good working order with zigzag option
- Stretch sewing machine needles size 75/11
- Sharp pins and clips (if you have clips)
- Fabric marking pen (one that washes out if disappears with heat)
- Sharp scissors/rotary cutter
- Sewing mat and weights
- Pattern tracing paper
- Thread (Mettler or Gutermann * no drugstore threads please)
Equipment needed: You will need to bring your own sewing machine to this workshop. Please make sure that your machine has a zigzag stitch! Although The Spool is equipped with machines, you'll want to learn the settings for your own machine so you can make more bathing suits at home!
*** Please note: This is a beginner swimwear class. It will provide a good starting point for you to make swimwear for yourself, but please note that as with any sewing pattern, you may need additional alterations to achieve a perfect fit